Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Wife stands by BJP MLA facing sexual harassment

The wife of BJP MLA Renukacharya, who is
facing sexual harassment charges from a nurse, has
given an undertaking to the Karnataka State Women’s
Commission that her husband is innocent.

Defending her husband, who has been charged with
sexual harassment and criminal intimidation,
Renukacharya’s wife Suma deposed before the Karnataka
State Women’s Commission Chairperson Pramila Nesargi
in Bangalore and accused nurse Jayalakshmi of
harassing her husband and damaging the reputation of
her family.

An emotionally charged Suma told the Commission that
Jayalakshmi was a “vampire”, who “exploits and cheats
men”. “My husband is innocent. Any other person in my
husband’s place would not have been able to survive
the ordeal. I have full faith in my husband. He is a
kind-hearted person and a good father to my children”,
Suma told the Commission.

Suma recalled that she had herself introduced her
husband to the Jayalakshmi when she was very poor and
working as a nurse in Honnali. “But, she exploited him
and later tarnished his reputation. She took financial
help from him and later blackmailed him”, Suma said.

Accusing Jayalakshmi of being promiscuous, Suma cited
the case of another person Ramesh, a resident of
Bellary. “Ramesh’s wife had called me and said she had
gone through a similar nightmare”.

When she was queried about the intimate photographs of
Jayalakshmi and Renukacharya, Suma said she does not
know anything about them. “But, my husband is a good
man. I hope I get him as my husband for all the seven
lives”, she said.

Suma also gave a written undertaking to the Commission
to initiate stern action against Jayalakshmi for
“tormenting” her husband and her family.

Though the Commission had also summoned Jayalakshmi,
she failed to turn up. Chairperson of the Commission
issued fresh summons asking Jayalakshmi and others to
be present on June 11.

No comments: